High Impact Fellowship
An introduction to Effective Altruism
Are you interested in social impact, but don’t know where to get started?
Do you want to find out do good with your career, time, donations and activism?
Then our High Impact Fellowship is perfect for you!
What does the fellowship entail?
The High Impact Fellowship - an introduction to Effective Altruism - is an 8-week online programme.
During the fellowship you will meet up with a group of around 5 other fellows and one facilitator from the EA community. Together you will learn about the key principles of Effective Altruism, explore the most pressing global challenges of our generation, and discover how you can make the biggest impact with your career, time, donations and activism!
Besides the weekly discussion sessions, you will get the chance to have in-depth 1-on-1 sessions with EA-members, and to become part of a community of like-minded individuals with a common desire to do good in the world!
- The fellowship will run from the 5th of July until the 29th of August, 8 weeks in total.
- Applications are open to anyone, you don’t have to have any previous experience or EA-knowledge.
- During the fellowship you will actively participate in weekly online sessions with your discussion group (~1.5 hours).
- There is about 2 hours of core reading before each session, and usually some exercises which take between half an hour to 1 hour (~3 hours).
- Each session is based on an EA-related topic and the sessions will be facilitated by a member of the EA-community. You can find a short overview of the weekly topics at the bottom of this page.
- Besides the weekly sessions you will have the opportunity to engage in in-depth 1-on-1 sessions with other EA-members.
- There are no costs associated with the fellowship itself, except two (e-)books that are part of the core reading material: Doing Good Better and The Precipice.
Interested or questions?
Do you have any questions or do you want to find out more about the fellowship? Join one of our online information sessions*:
Info session 1: Wednesday 9th of June at 19:30
Info session 2: Monday 14th of June at 19:30
*Note that the first session will be in Dutch, the second session will be in English.
If you have any questions or if you are in doubt about whether to apply, feel free to email us at email@example.com.
Are you interested in joining the High Impact Fellowship? Apply here! You can apply until the 23rd of June 2021.
Looking for more information about Effective Altruism?
Have a look around at our webpage, or
Read Introduction to Effective Altruism (~15 min)
Watch Introduction to Effective Altruism (~35 min)
Watch Peter Singer: The Why and How of Effective Altruism (~17 min)
Below you will find a brief overview of the topics that will be covered during the fellowship. Note that the weekly readings are in English, but the discussion sessions will be conducted in Dutch or English, depending on your personal preference.
Week 1: The Effectiveness Mindset
The core ideas of effective altruism: why we care about cost-effectiveness and choosing the very best interventions we can.
Week 2: Differences in Impact
How and to what extent we can use quantitative estimates to compare the impact of different interventions.
Week 3: Expanding Our Compassion
Thinking about who should be in our ‘moral circle’, that is, whose interest we should take into account, especially focusing on non-human animals.
Week 4: Longtermism
The importance of the long-term effects of our actions on future generations.
Week 5: Existential Risk
On ensuring that humanity survives and flourishes, especially by reducing man-made risks.
Week 6: Emerging Technologies
The big-picture technological, economic and societal developments which might have a transformative impact on the future.
Week 7: Increasing the Accuracy of our Judgements
Techniques to make better judgements and predictions that help us identify the best ways to do good.
Week 8: Putting it into Practice
Applying the lessons from the past 7 weeks to our own lives and careers, as well as making plans for the future.